Thursday, March 8, 2012

List Of The Week: Well, That's Different

...And by "different", I mean, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" There have been many times when I've heard a song and asked, "Who is this?" and then being completely shocked when I found out. Some of these departures worked for the artist. They introduced themselves to a new audience, and broadened their musical horizons. And then there's the rest. May we never speak of them again.

1.Lost in You-Chris Gaines (aka Garth Brooks) I think Garth was way ahead of his time. Everyone and their mama has an alter-ego now, but at the time, this was the only way Garth Brooks could try a different genre without alienating his die-hard country fans. Still love this song.

2. You Oughta Know-Alanis Morissette When I was a kid, Alanis was Canada's answer to Debbie Gibson (if you're too young to remember her, Britney Spears) So when I heard this song, I was amazed. Ditching the pop-princess act was the best thing she could have done.

3. Smells Like Teen Spirit-Paul Anka Umm...what? Much to my chagrin, this is a great cover. I can actually understand all the words!

4. Losing My Mind-Liza Minnelli and The Pet Shop Boys Miss Liza, you are beyond talented, but do us all a favour; stick to Broadway and standards.

5. Dirrty-Christina Aguilera feat. Redman The whole "dirty-up-your-squeaky-clean-pop-image" worked much better for Britney.

6. I Could Fall In Love-Jennifer Lopez She can definitely carry a tune, but covering Selena is like trying to follow Whitney; no matter who is singing, it'll never compare to the original.

So that's about all I could think of right now, but feel free to suggest more!

Happy Thursday!
Ginger-I just spent 30 bucks on tea. TEA! I am so Canadian. And expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails