Wednesday, January 11, 2012

List of The Week: Awesome Covers

I'm sure I've already listed most of these, but they really do bear repeating. As most of you know, I can be kind of snooty about certain things; if a book I like is made into film, I will always insist that the book is better. (Because they usually are) That said, I don't really like song covers that deviate too far from the original...yet, I love these. Sometimes all it takes to please me is a different spin on a classic (or a hearing the lyrics enunciated well enough for me to understand the song)

1.  Single Ladies-The Heavyweights Brass Band (Beyonce) Let me just state for the record that I hate this song. But, I love this version. It's so jazzy and fun!

2. All Along The Watchtower-Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan) Confession time: For years I thought this song was written by Jimi Hendrix. When I heard Bob Dylan's version, I thought "Cool, he's covering Jimi Hendrix" uh...no. Jimi Hendrix covered Bob.

3. Orion- Rodrigo y Gabriela (Metallica)The first time I heard this song, I was like, "Daaaaang! this is amazing!" They did Metallica proud.

4.Smells Like Teen Spirit-Paul Anka (Nirvana) I swear I had no idea what this song was about until I heard this version. Honestly, I love them both. (I know, blasphemy. Get over it)

5.Billie Jean-Chris Cornell (Michael Jackson) I love Chris Cornell, so he could sing the first half of the phone book and I'd say, "That's brilliant!" but this is truly a great cover of a great pop song.

6.I'm Not In Love-Olive (10CC) I've been a fan of this song since I was little. Olive's cover is just lovely.

7.Mad World-Gary Jules (Tears For Fears) This song is beautiful any way, but everything about this cover-the arrangement, the vocals, the instruments is perfect.

8.Nothing Compares 2 U-Sinead O'Connor (Prince) Prince is a tough act to follow on his worst day (not that he's had any) Sinead O'Connor does an excellent job. The single tear at the end of the video gets me every time.

9.Here Comes The Rain Again-Amanda Stott featuring Conjure One (The Eurythmics) I love this song. The end.

10. Rolling In The Deep-John Legend (Adele) A ridiculously amazing cover of an already awesome song.

That's all for now! I'll have something exciting  (to me) tomorrow :) Happy Wednesday!

Ginger-who has big plans to sit down, eat popcorn and watch all my Wednesday night shows. My life is a party. 

6 comments:

  1. "Whiskey in the Jar"--Metallica (Thin Lizzy)
    "Ring of Fire"--Social Distortion (Johnny Cash)
    "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us"--Siouxsie and the Banshees (Sparks)
    Honorable Mention: "You're Lost Little Girl"--Siouxsie (The Doors)

    ...Now I'll be thinking about them all night...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Red Red Wine"-- UB40 (Neil Diamond)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Knock on Wood"--Amii Stewart (Eddie Jones)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I meant Eddie Floyd, not Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Dear Prudence" --Siouxsie & The Banshees (The Beatles; written by J. Lennon about Prudence Farrow, Mia's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Oi To the World"--No Doubt (The Vandals)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails