Thursday, April 28, 2011

Geek Week: Sarcasm

Today's geekish fascination is something I'm frequently guilty of. Ever since I was a child I've had an uncontrollable mouth. I'm constantly having to back-peddle and apologize because I have a problem with sarcasm. (Specifically, my own)

 I'm just 5 feet tall and weigh about 100 lbs soaking wet, but every single person at my job says that they find me intimidating. Why? Because I'm sarcastic. I have a sharp tongue and I'm not afraid to use it. Most of my sarcasm is directed toward the people I'm nearest and dearest to. (Because even if they get angry, they're stuck with me :P) But, I save my best zingers for my coworkers.

I'm the type of person who, once I'm in work mode, I don't want any distractions. If someone comes in my office wanting to chat about how our boss is short-changing them on hours, I will give them about 2 minutes to vent before saying something to the effect of, "I'm pretty sure you'd get more hours if you spent less time chatting in my office. But that's just my opinion."

 I am also averse to inane observations, ("gee it's cold in here!" thanks for the update,Captain Obvious), any type of whining, and gossip. I don't care what that girl from cash did with her boyfriend, I'm busy!


My reputation as the company curmudgeon precedes me. Here's the thing though, I'm not a mean person. I just can't stand B.S. and I'm not afraid to call people on it. I try not to be rude, but with some of my colleagues it's a struggle. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time biting my tongue.


To accompany this topic, I've chosen Revlon Street Wear in Heartless. It's a beautiful purple-burgundy shimmer with that lovely 'lit-from-within' look.






My snark does have limits: I would never pick on someone based on their looks, personal appearance, ethnicity, or hygiene (a former coworker was talked about because she didn't bathe often, in my opinion, as long as she kept her distance we were cool. She's grown enough to smell however she wants.) I usually just wait until something stupid is said or done, and then I pounce.

I try not so use sarcasm on this blog because it doesn't translate well in type, but I can be pretty snarky on Twitter...usually at my own expense =)

So what do you all think about sarcasm? Do you enjoy it or do you find it mean? Let me know!

REMINDER!
You have 1 day left to enter my Apothica giveaway, (the post with the original link is at the top of the page) Good Luck!

Ginger-who is also a fan of satire. I blame my crazy extended family for this.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at the title. If "sarcasm" could replace my current middle name, it would. And I find it fabulous that you described many similarities that I carry at work (when I AM working - but that's another story). And yes, sarcasm doesn't transfer well, I'm often saying *read with sarcasm* but it doesn't matter, because if they can't read it into the words, they don't get it nor do they get me. ;)

    And don't even get me started at intimidation. I have stories.

    And I better stop, because I keep finding myself trying to write a book (or at least add a chapter to yours) and I'm guessing I will run out of space.

    My favorite t-shirt saying: NATIONAL SARCASM SOCIETY (underneath) Like we need your support

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be a sarcastic person. Sometimes it's so hard to hold back. I don't know why I changed or when. I don't mind sarcasm as long as it really doesn't hurt the person.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails