Sunday, October 3, 2010

6 People

That is the number of people in my family that have died of cancer.Three of them died of breast cancer.Five more people were acquaintances and friends.One of them was just 26 years-old when she died. I don't know of a single person who hasn't lost a friend or relative because of this insidious disease.(The cancer rates in my home province are higher than anywhere else in Canada.)

I hope and pray that before someone else loses a beloved aunt,or a grandmother or a young,vibrant co-worker, that there will be a cure for this disease.Until then I will do my part to raise awareness about the importance of being screened.If you're too young to get a  mammogram, do a self-examination.It may end up saving your life.

There's another side to this.I also know of many women who have survived breast cancer.One of them bravely passed on wearing a wig when she lost her hair during chemo and proudly showed off her beautiful bald head.She's called a survivor for a reason.She beat cancer at it's own game; instead of it destroying her,she destroyed it.

One of my favourite songs is One by U2.My favourite line of the song is,

 'We're one but we're not the same.We get to carry each other,carry each other'

Taking care of each other shouldn't be treated as an obligation or a burden.It's a privilege.We are all a part of the human race and it is our gift to one another to make sure that all of us-in spite of our differences-have the support we need to survive.

The pink I chose to wear is Strong Blush by Sally Hansen 10 Day Wear.



This probably isn't the most articulate or well-written BCA post,but it is from my heart.As I write this I'm thinking of every person I've lost,and how powerless I felt at the time. As my aunt said before she died,'Just you being here is enough'.Sometimes that's really all you need to do.


Have a wonderful evening!

Ginger-who is sending well-wishes to all of those who are fighting the good fight :)



6 comments:

  1. Cancer sucks like nothing else has ever sucked. I lost my Daddy to prostate cancer two years ago. And I am still pissed.

    But, I know women, beautiful, strong, amazing women who have been diagnosed with, battled and beaten breast cancer. And for every person we lose, there are so many who make it. And that is something that brings me comfort and makes me carry on.

    I think that your PSA was perfect. And your nails are a shining beacon to all of us. If one person can reach one person and one life is saved, it is all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I personally think this was a very eloquent and heartfelt post - and I LOVE that U2 song, it's also one of my very favorite songs, ever. Thank you for sharing honey. *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post. Everyone has been touched by the insidious disease. The first person I lost was my Aunt. It was many years ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday. Back than it was just radiation treatment. She was also a welfare patient and was treated horribly. Her mastectomy scar was puckered and horrible. She wasn't treated good because of being a welfare patient. She was bedridden for 5 years. She suffered horribly. My Mother also had breast cancer. She lasted for 5 years with repeated recurrences. Each one was worse. She ended up dying of congestive heart failure because of the chemo. I've also known many others. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful post! From the heart is always the best. My condolences to you regarding your losses to this despicable disease. Thank you for your post. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely from the heart, so sweet, Thank U! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your story :) Breast Cancer research is a wonderful cause. I love your choice of pink to wear in your loved ones honor.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails