Thursday, June 3, 2010

Geek Week:Vampires

Hello All!
Today's Geek Week post is devoted to something that I have been fascinated with since grade 6...Vampires!
Truth be told,everything I know about vampires I learned from Joss Whedon. I'm a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, mostly because it is the show that introduced my favourite vampire of all time,Spike. I love Spike because he represents (in my opinion) everything a vampire should be.He's vulnerable,seductive,and dangerous...and he never lets you forget it.This is probably why I didn't like Angel as much.Unless he was Angelus (his evil alter-ego),he came off as kind of wimpy and bland.And don't even get me started on Edward Cullen! I would post my (many) opinions of his character here,but I've had enough of being hated on by 'Team Edward' groupies.

Vampires are at their best when they're nasty. They're supposed blood-sucking demons after all,not cuddly little love-muffins. In folkloric tales they started out as ugly,deformed figures that incited fear and trembling.But I like the modern-day seductive vamp archetype better. Evil isn't always ugly. Sometimes it's beautiful, with impeccable manners,and eloquent speech. I think one of the things that irked me most about Twilight (other than the fact that the vampires sparkled and didn't have fangs) was how the danger element was pared down.Aside from the Volturi and James' clan,the vampires weren't really threatening.As I type this I do remember something about Jasper losing his cool over the sight of Bella's blood but that was a  total red herring-we all knew nothing would happen to her.
Now, on the other hand,if Bella had met Spike,Angelus, or Eric *drools*  let's just say it would have been a very different book. One of 'em would have killed that whiny brat for sure.

(apologizes to Twifans)

But,enough about that for now,I'm really excited to show you the colour I picked out. In order to go with the theme,I wanted something extravagant,high-quality...and expensive.
Rescue Beauty Lounge Moulin Rouge-a beautiful chocolate-burgundy creme,is a perfect match.Pure vampy loveliness!





and as an added bonus,a nice little vampire collage that I made courtesy of http://www.bighugelabs.com/!
The vampires are as follows:
1.Eric-True Blood -loves him!
2.Stefan and Damon-The Vampire Diaries (I want to like Damon,but all I can think of when i see the actor is Boone from 'Lost'.I couldn't stand Boone.
3.Spike-My favourite :)  Buffy the Vampire Slayer
4.The Lost Boys-The only time I've ever thought of Kiefer Sutherland as sexy.
5.Angel-A.k.A Captain Cardboard from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel
6.Bela Lugosi-Who I'm pretty sure was an actual vampire.He was so fantastic.
7.Blade-I love the comics,I loved the movie. Shut up.
8.Bill-True Blood I didn't like him at first,but he's grown on me.
9.Carlisle-Twilight One of the few Cullens I actually liked *ducks flying objects*


So am I missing anyone? Edward wasn't included because I'm a Wolf Pack fan and
I'm already miffed that I didn't include Gerard Butler from Dracula 2000.  (How could I forget him?)

Let me know in the comments :)

Have a wonderful day!
Ginger-who could also include her love for werewolves,dragons,and ninjas...but this post is long enough!

7 comments:

  1. LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE vampires. See, I "cut my teeth" on the Anne Rice series, so I'm sad you didn't include Brad Pitt in this collage as my love Louis. Ahhh. And the best thing about Queen of the Damned was Stuart Townsend as Lestat. But that's a whole other series that you didn't bring up - I don't know if you've read it but I'd like to recommend I, Vampire by Michael Romkey. It's SO so good!
    BTW - I was NOT a Boone fan either.
    I loved Blade! I really, really did. You won't get any complaints from me about including it! YAY.
    Awesome choice for color on a vampire post, it's a stunner.
    I'm loving this week! I have to head over to your book post next - I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole-Right!HOW COULD I FORGET LOUIS? AND STUART TOWNSEND? He was a waay better Lestat than Tom Cruise! (eww) 'I Vampire' is on my list of books to read-the fact that you like it is a bonus :) (it's a really long list!) and yeah,Blade is awesome.I get flak for thinking it,but I don't really care.I love him :)
    and Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, notice I didn't mention Tom Cruise. I mean, EWW. I'm such a vamp snob. I can't remember how many books are in the I, Vampire series but I think you'd like it. And of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sigh, Spike*

    Oh, sorry. REAL vamps don't sparkle, they burst into flames.

    I'm thinking real vamps is a total oxymoron if I ever saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG so with you there on the love of BTVS. check out my other blog inkondigitalpaper.blogspot.com i basically tear the crap outta the twilight vamps in my first twillight post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. If i HAVE to take sides in those stupid twilight monstrosities people call "books" I'd have to go for the wolves. Vampires do NOT sparkle. *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also share your love of vampires. Bela Lugosi will always be the ultimate vampire. I do love Twilight and Edward. The vampires are totally romanticized and I didn't mind it. I only read the first book and saw the two movies. I couldn't believe that Edward "sparkled". I've never seen Buffy. I worked nights when that series was on. Anne Rice's novels were amazing. I still don't see Tom Cruise in the part but can't change it. Eric is my favorite also. True Blood starts this Sunday!!!! The actor who played Bill had to grow on me also. I just expected someone different. Love that polish. It's absolutely beautiful on you. I must have it! Is it working on you, my vampire mind control?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails