Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Father Bought A Punching Bag

The title of this post is pretty self-explanatory.I wanted to switch gears today because I realized that I haven't told one of my awesome (in my opinion) stories in a long time.Besides, there are only a few ways to say light blue with shimmer without becoming repetitive.

Approximately 7 years ago,my dad found out that he was borderline diabetic. Which basically means that if he changed his diet and exercised regularly,he could effectively cure it. What my father translated that into was, "Sweet! I can still eat whatever I want because I'm not a real diabetic!" Um...not so much,Dad.


I'm always lecturing him about his diet (which includes 3 staples;meat,carbs,and cookies) and exercise habits,(none,unless you include building houses and yard work.) But he refuses to listen.To his credit, he's made a few half-hearted attempts to get into shape. The exercise bike made an excellent clothes hanger until he sold it,the ab-roller is currently in the attic along with the Christmas ornaments and my tricycle,and he uses his free-weights to flatten things.When I saw today that he'd purchased a punching bag, I thought,

"It's about freakin' time!"

My father loves fighting almost as much as he loves my brother and I,maybe more. It's odd because he's one of the most calm,and peaceful men I know.But, for some reason talking about fighting,(and watching fighting) makes him really happy. I didn't get his fascination at all,so one day I asked him why fighting was so important to him.

He told me a (really long) story about how he was bullied as a kid. He came home  from school one day,with a battered and bruised face,and my grandfather got really angry with him.But Gramps wasn't angry because my dad fought,he was angry because my dad allowed his opponent to wreck his face.
And that was unacceptable.

He told my dad that going into a fight without a plan of attack is dangerous,so all he had to do  to "win" was come up with a better plan. My dad practiced fight strategies for months (mostly on his brothers and sisters) ,and the next time someone initiated a fight with him,he won.
Then he got in trouble with Gramps because he was "Too cocky".

I guess you can't please some people.

I'll never fully understand my dad's love for fighting,but at the very least,I understand what it means to him. My family has a bit of a reputation in my town.We're known for being quiet,peaceful folks...until you piss us off,then we're lean,mean,fighting machines. For my dad, fighting is a (weird) part of his legacy. Almost all of his fond memories from childhood include watching, or participating in,some fight or another.The same goes for all of my uncles and aunts. Because he was the odd,red-headed runt,he was always the underdog.Yet,he always won,(unless it was against my aunt El,she knew she'd get the upper hand because my father didn't like to hit girls :P)

He was such a successful (street) fighter because he learned how to prepare himself. No one could ever catch him off-guard because he anticipated every move.
"One of the worst things you can do in a fight is show the other person how scared you are", he said,"Once they know you're scared,they control the fight."

I used to get annoyed whenever my dad talked about fights (which he did.All the time.) But when I understood where he was coming from, I was quite impressed with how knowledgeable he was about it.It's almost like listening to a chess master explaining moves on a chess board.

So what was the point of this story?

point #1 If you're going to fight,it's helpful to know what you're doing first.

point#2 Don't show any signs of fear.

Point#3 Always have a plan.Always.

Point #4.My grandfather was a really difficult man to please.Just sayin'


The colour I've chosen to wear is OPI Ocean Love Potion. If the name sounds familiar,there's a teal SOPI polish with the same name. This incarnation was released in  the summer of 2003 as a part of the Surf Collection ( I had,and lost a bottle of Sun Streaked, a pretty beige-gold from the same collection) Ocean Love Potion is a *pulchritudinous light cerulean.It reminds me of mermaids,and sea glass.It is also really sheer.It took me 5 coats to achieve this look and there's still VNL. It's lovely,but it might be  better as a  layering polish.


*how's that for a different description? ;)

I'd put this polish in the VHTF category.I purchased mine on ebay,but there might be some available in your local "Dusty".It's worth a look.

Happy Sunday!
Ginger-who is hoping that dad actually hangs up his punching bag at some point.He can't use it while it's laying down in the porch :P

2 comments:

  1. ahhhh! love the story! layer this polish over dark blue sometime! I'd loooove to see that ;) we need more stories like this! I love gettin to know the other bloggers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely polish. It does look like the color of sea glass. I always enjoy your stories. I don't enjoy watching fighting. I don't understand why anyone would want to have themselves pummeled for a living. I can understand why you Dad learned how to fight. My Mother was 4'11" and she was a fighter because of necessity. She had brothers that picked on her and also kids on the street. Just call her runt or something like that and she would fight. So I learned not to "fight like a girl" all that slapping and hair pulling. The one fight I got into started like that with the hair pulling and then I punched and that was the end of it. I didn't start the fight but I ended it. I was about 11 or 12 at the time. I never liked to fight nor do I like confrontation. But don't jump me and expect me to stand there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails