Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Wintery Konad and Why I Love The Olympics

My love for the Olympics began when I was 7 years old. It was during 1988 summer games in Seoul Korea. I was watching the women's 100 metre sprint when I caught my first glimpse of  American runner Florence Griffith-Joyner. She was the epitome of beauty,grace, and strength, plus,she was fast*. She went on to win three gold medals that year,all while wearing red,white and blue nail polish on her gorgeous long nails :) From that point on,Flo-Jo became my ultimate role model. I grew my nails long just like her,I began sprinting just like her,and I took to competing in pink athletic tights.Just like Flo-Jo. An injury to my Achilles tendon cut my track career short,but I never forgot what,and who inspired me to take up the sport in the first place. The Olympic games brings out the dreamer in all of us,and I can't help but think what might have been, if not for my injury. I was heartbroken when Flo-Jo passed away in 1998,but I am eternally grateful to her for being the inspiration for a shy,skinny kid from Middle-of-Nowhere, Canada to break out of her shell and start running.

*her record still stands 22 years later :)

I wanted this Konad to be both wintery,and patriotic, so I used 4 coats of OPI Paris Couture for Sure (a holographic sliver glitter) as a base and konad special red polish for the stamp.The plate I used is M73.

*ahem* excuse my dry,cracked hands.



Though I watch both Olympics, the winter games are my favourite. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm unable to do most of the sports involved. (aerials? seriously? I don't think so)
There's always that unpredictable element.Someone you don't even expect to be a contender could rise  to the occasion and take gold, or the overwhelming favourite could falter. You never really know what's going to happen. It reminds me of one of my favourite Bible verses -don't worry, proselytizing isn't my thing :)

The fastest runner does not always win the race,
the strongest soldier does not always win the battle,
the wisest does not always have food,
the smartest does not always become wealthy,
and the talented one does not always receive praise.
Time and chance happen to everyone.
ecclesiastes 9:11


Have a wonderful day ladies!

Ginger-who is wondering if I can keep this up for another 12 days.

6 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post, I feel the same way - we are all gifted by God to do something amazing. It just takes humans longer to figure out what that talent might be!

    and your nails are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mani, but I loved the story more, thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flo Jo was truly an AMAZING woman! I will never forget her nails or fashion style - plus, oh my goodness, just watching her was joy. I've never been a runner, so she always made my jaw drop in awe.
    I love the Konad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this konadicure, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved this post!
    flo-jo was an inspiration for me as well. she inspired me in so many ways. injury didn't stop my track career though(i have a weakness for pastries).

    the mani is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both Winter and Summer Olympics. I really admired Flo-Jo for her nails and most importantly her running skills. I couldn't run to save my life. Not even when I didn't have anything wrong. Great post as usual. Love the manicure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails