Sunday, December 27, 2009

Holiday Hangover:Burgundy

Hello ! How is everyone today? I'm happy to report that my digital camera and I are on speaking terms again,so I was able  to snap a few pictures. They aren't the best,but the fact that I was able to take them without my camera deciding to blur them for effect is a Christmas miracle. I had a great holiday,and was pleased I didn't stick to my original idea of not buying anything for anyone. That would've been embarrassing.

Todays colour is... burgundy !


OPI Suzi Loves Sydney

The first thing I'm going to say about this shade is it's much darker in person. It's a deep burgundy with gold shimmer,released as a part of OPI's Australia collection.Since I'm a vampy lover,this is the first colour I bought.It's basic,yet glowy and dazzling at the same time.




L'Oreal Stroke of Midnight

The second is *gasp* a drugstore brand. To be honest, I hardly ever wear drugstore brands,but this is one of my favourites. It's a deep,almost-black,burgundy jelly. In fact, it looks like dried blood in person. And that is why I'm in love with it :)






And for your listening pleasure,two of my favourite holiday songs!


Someday at Christmas By Stevie Wonder is one of my favourites because...well...it's Stevie! This song has such an uplifting message of hope that I can't help but smile whenever I hear it. 




 ...and on the polar opposite side of the spectrum my favourite un-Christmassy Christmas song. Fairytale of New York by the Pogues and Kirsty McColl.

Picture this for a moment;

You're young and in love.Your boyfriend, with stars in his eyes and a dream in his heart, decides to move to New York and best of all,he wants you to move with him. "It's a wonderful place!" he says, "My band will be discovered, you'll become a famous dancer, and we'll live out the rest of our lives in eternal bliss". You agree to go with him because you're young and he's "the one". For the first few weeks everything is perfect.

 Until you realize that your boyfriend is the same drunken layabout in New York as he is at home,you can't afford to live in the $900 per month basement apartment you're renting,and you can't get a job as a dancer because your work visa didn't come through.
 Before you left home you had romantic notions of  the power of your love carrying you through any adversity, but while love conquers all, it doesn't pay the bills.
You can't go to your landlord and say, "I don't have any money this month,can I pay my rent with love?"
(well...maybe you could...but it wouldn't be proper)
So there you are,two starving artists without a proverbial "pot" to piss in.

With every day, you and your boyfriend grow further and further apart. He resents the fact that he's the only one supporting you both,and you resent the fact that he comes home drunk all the time.
At this point your relationship has evolved into a deluge of name-calling and bitterness.
You're at home contemplating whether or not you should leave him when he calls from the drunk tank on Christmas Eve.
He tells you how much he loves you, and all you're thinking is how much you'd like to beat him to death with a cast iron skillet once he gets home.

 But you don't beat him to death. Instead you reminisce about how young and full of hope you were when you got to New York. You wonder out loud, where have all my dreams gone?
 His response? the same place as mine,we're in this together.
The moral of the story is this; Even a miserable life can seem less miserable if you have someone to share it with.

Oh, and the NYPD choir will still be singing. No matter what.


*awkward silence*

um...Happy Holidays?




And on that cheery note,I'm going to end here. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your holiday!

xoxo
Ginger-who is looking forward to 2010!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful shades on you. I love that Stevie Wonder song. Glad you and your camera are on speaking terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are beautiful colors! I have one word for you.....Rimmel! This is my favorite drugstore brand!
    ((hugs)) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you may have seen - I have a lot of drugstore faves! Sally Hansen and Rimmel are my faves, with Sinful Colors falling close behind. I love burgundy shades - shocking, right? ;)
    And that's quite a tale!
    I hope you're well and I'm SO glad you got the polishes safe and sound! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gilded Angel-Thank you :)

    Lucy-Thank you :) I play this song every year while decorating the tree,I love it. My camera is behaving itself (for now), I'm thinking of buying a new one.

    Evile Angel- I love Rimmel! I'm still kicking myself for not buying Zeitgeist when I had the chance. I still love my old Revlons and Sally Hansen's as well as my tiny L'Oreal stash. Drugstores rock!

    Nicole-I agree 100 % Sally and Rimmel 2 of my favourite drugstore brands as well.And no I am not shocked that you love burgundy *lol* It looks fabulous on you :) and the story is the direct result of me having way too much time on my hands :P and thanks again for the polishes! I love them both. I had a pretty rough day,but finding the package you sent in the mail instantly changed my mood. So thank you (again) and I hope all is well with you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I read every comment but I'm not always able to respond to them. I hope you don't mind. Also, don't link-spam. I delete link-spam.
Best Regards, Ginger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails